Porridge and I have always got along. However, there are only so many times one can eat a bowl of oats steeped in honey before you get sick to death of honey. So ever since my mother told us stories of how she used to have porridge with butter and salt as a child I’ve been on the lookout for a good savoury oatmeal recipe.
I stumbled across this recipe from Cravings gone Clean during my search. Now I know, I know what you’re thinking. This recipe isn’t exactly savoury. But it has cheese in it, so that kind of counts :$.
I’ve made some modifications to the original recipe – most notably raspberries and feta rather than goats cheese and blackberries (it’s what I like to call my “using what’s in the fridge” method). I also used milk instead of water, which along with the cheese stirred through, makes this porridge super creamy. I had this for lunch one day after I’d been to the gym and it was very filling and kept me going for an afternoon full of study. Which I will start soon. Maybe.
Creamy Banana Porridge with Raspberries and Feta
(modified from Cravings Gone Clean)
- 1 small banana
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp feta cheese, crumpled
- 1/3 cup frozen raspberries
- Get raspberries out of the freezer and let them begin to defrost
- Mash the banana in a measuring cup
- Add milk to the cup until full up to the 1 cup line
- Add vanilla
- Sift oats, then combine all ingredients in a saucepan
- Simmer on low heat until oats are cooked and mixture is creamy (this took about 5-10 minutes for me)
- Top with feta and raspberries
The perfect thing for breakfast as the weather is beginning to cool down.
And the nutrition info, for those of you who are into that sort of thing
I found this really sweet – especially seeing as it contains no added sugars!