This banana bread is the perfect snack. Dense and chewy, with just a tinge of sweetness from the banana, it’s perfect with peanut butter when you’re on the go, or with a cup of tea and smothered in butter. Nobody said it had to remain dairy free for long!
What was that? Dairy free you say? Why yes, dairy free, free of added sugars, and the original recipe from Love Food Eat is vegan – but I used eggs.
Plus, this has to be one of the easiest recipes to make. It took me less than five minutes to get all the ingredients together. Definitely a recipe I’m going to make again. Regularly.
(adapted from Love Food Eat)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups mashed banana
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 chopped nuts (I used almonds)
- 1 egg and 1 egg white
- Sesame and poppy seeds for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees
- Mash bananas (I like to leave a couple of little chunks to bite into, but make sure it’s smooth if that’s not your kind of thing)
- Mix dry ingredients including almonds
- Mix in wet ingredients until just combined
- Put into well-greased loaf pans and sprinkle with seeds
- Bake for 60 minutes until crusty and golden on top
- Let cool in tin for a couple of minutes, before letting it finish cooling on a wire rack. Try not to cut it until it’s cool. Needless to say, we didn’t have that much self control
I love cooking breads (even easy one’s without yeast). I have to admit I’ve been tempted to try making my own sourdough soon.
What’s your favourite kind of bread to bake?