Hey there internet, it’s been some time. Life has got kind of hectic on me recently, what with Mum and Dad going away next week and it getting closer and closer to the end of the semester. The weather has also taken a turn for the worse, and so last weekend to warm up the house I decided to bake some fresh bread 🙂 is there any better smell than the smell of fresh bread?
I don’t think so 🙂
Simple White Bread
(Adapted from Nigella’s Essential White Loaf from How to be a Domestic Goddess)
- 500g plain flour (bread flour is better, but hard to source on my side of town after our old bread shop closed 😦 )
- 10g dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 200-300ml warm water
- a couple of tablespoons melted butter
- Combine yeast, sugar and 200ml warm water for a few minutes until mixture begins to bubble, while waiting combine flour and salt
- Add 200ml warm water while mixing to the flour, and add more water until the dough comes together
- Knead for about ten minutes
- Roll dough into a bowl greased with the butter and roll over until covered with butter, then cover with a tea towel and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size (about an hour)
- Punch down, knead once or twice, then form into a loaf shape and sit it on a baking trey covered in baking paper, covered with a tea towel for half an hour or until doubled in size again. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees while waiting.
- Brush loaf with melted butter
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until it no longer sounds hollow when you knock on the bottom
I love baking with yeast – it’s particularly useful when I’m procrastibaking because I get to spend all day in the kitchen 🙂 what’s your favourite recipe that uses yeast?